Dos and Don’ts Of Mold Remediation

What Is Mold?

Mold is a form of fungi that grows in moist dark places. Most dry areas in and outside the home have levels of mold that are not harmful. It is when moist and damp conditions encourage the growth of mold and spores, that hazardous conditions result. Mold will grow on any organic material including drywall, wood plaster, carpeting and ceiling tiles. Mold grows on brick and block because it is porous and retains moisture. Mold growth can be a variety of textures and colors – black, gray, white, orange, gray-green, pink or purple. Some molds create a substance called mycotoxins that can lead to neurological health problems and even death in humans and pets. Toxic mold is a problem that must be addressed quickly as it is a hazardous and potentially deadly condition. Mold will spread and the problem made worse if not treated by a mold removal professional that is trained to handle hazardous and deadly materials.

 How do I know if I have a mold problem?

If you have had any water damage or plumbing leaks in your home you may have mold problem. High humidity is a good environment for mold to thrive. Homes that have been left for periods of time with the air conditioning either turned off or set at too high of a setting create the perfect environment for mold spores to colonize.  Flooding and water leaks make conditions conducive to mold.  Not all mold growth has an odor, and mold often grows in hidden places that you can’t see. JW Cleaning, Restoration and Building Maintenance Team can help you determine if there is a mold problem.

 Why do I need a professional mold remediator?

A visual inspection in your home can spot some mold growth, but many mold colonies are not easily visible.  Common areas of hidden mold growth include behind drywall, under and behind cabinets and behind kitchen and bathroom tiles. A professional mold remediator will determine and repair the source of moisture feeding the mold growth, identify any possible areas of mold colonization, and remediate all active mold growth and affected materials safely so as not to contaminate other areas within a home or building.

Mold is an ongoing concern and should not be treated lightly. In fact, if you discover mold in your home or office, be sure to take the discovery seriously because mold can adversely effect your health. Below is a list of tips to help you deal with your indoor mold infestation safely:

DO NOT

  • DO NOT place fans on mold thinking it will go away. When you blow air onto a mold infested area it will disperse tiny harmful spores into the air affecting the air quality dramatically and negatively.

 

 

  • DO NOT spray bleach or any other chemical on the mold because this will cause the mold to disperse its spores.

 

  • DO NOT think you are tough and mold won’t hurt you. Mold is an airborne pathogen, no matter how tough you may think you are, mold can adversely affect your health.

 

  • DO NOT try to kill the mold. Dead mold spores are just as harmful to the human lungs as living mold spores.

DO

  • DO wear a respirator with P100 hepa filtration cartridges.

 

  • DO put up containment with plastic sheeting to avoid the spread of spores.

 

  • DO use a hepa vacuum.

 

  • DO have negative air pressure.

 

  • DO wear gloves.
  • DO call a certified mold removal and remediation professional to get a professional assessment of your mold issues.

Get your property to a “Better than Before” condition NOW